Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Hawaii Ironman Tips Required!

Have just posted a new page. Now I need your help!

Have you been to Kona? Have you been to Hawaii IM? I want your tips. Please add comments and pass on to friends who are in the know also.

My aim is to build a thorough report for friends, family and supporters on travelling to Kona for the Hawaii IM. I am a newbie - all I have is a few tips form friends - but I want more!

I don't want to know about the race and training - I hear enough about that!

I want to know about the town, where to shop, where to eat, what to see, what is good for kids, what secret locations we should know about, what fun things there are to do during IM week, how we should manage race day, what resources and assistance there is for supporters on race day, what we shouldn't miss - and what sight seeing we will drag our competitors to pre or post race so we don't feel like we have visited but not experienced it all!

I look forward to all your comments  thanks!

3 comments:

Charlotte paul said...

I think I'll post comments as they come to me...:)

I just heard about a new surf shop on Alii Drive selling beautiful bikinis by a local designer, amongst other stuff...Kailani Surf Co. next to an ABC and near the Kona Inn.

Spectating is great at "Hot Corner" which is the intersection of Palani and Kuakini. Its a spot on the bike and the run where competitors will go in both directions. They have commentators there so you can hear whats going on... Otherwise up Palani you get to see athletes for longer- since they are going more slowly uphill...

that's all for now!
Charlotte

Lisa McLean said...

Thanks To Charlotte Paul for putting the word out that I am in need of Hawaii tips. Two from her FB friends.

Andrew Morris - Quinns for food just accross the road from the transitionKing Kameah hotel fresh and cheap too.It has a great little garden out the back.

Paul Hawker - Breakfast for Champions. You got to go to "Basik Acai" oposite Huggo's in the building above Snorkels Bobs. A stones throw from Royal Kona. Very healthy Breakfast :)

Pua said...

Here are a few of my personal tips for visitors to the Kona Big Island Ironman. They are pretty general recommendations for the day of the race, so visitors won't get stuck in the crowds http://kohalacoastweb.blogspot.com/2010/09/5-best-tips-for-kona-big-island-ironman.html or get overwhelmed.

For pre or post Ironman things to see or to do. There are too many to pick from but choose from this list according to your favorite things to do:
1. visit a 'live' volcano
2. stargazing on Mauna Kea summit
3. drive to waipio or/and pololu valley lookouts
4. boogey board Hapuna Beach
5. kayak in Kealakekua Bay
6. snorkel in Kealakekua Bay

Ask your Kona hosts and the list of Big Island things to do will continue!

Enjoy the thrill of the Hawaii Ironman and the adventures on your Big Island vacation.

Aloha, Pua
Best Hawaii Vacation Blog